Will paying the ticket for a possession of marijuana offense prevent me from going to court?

You may pay the ticket; however, if your son has been issued a letter or subpoena to appear in court then he must appear for his court. Failure to appear in a court in Georgia may result in a warrant issued for his arrest and suspension of his driver’s license.

What should I do after receiving a letter to appear in court on a possible felony?

Question Detail:  I purchased a truck and given the title. The transmission slipped and I sold the truck. However, I had not completed making payments on the truck. I received a call saying that I could go to jail on a felony for selling the truck. I was unaware that if I was making payments on the truck, I committed a crime by selling it. Should I appear in court? Please help.

The short answer to your question is that you must appear for your court date for either a criminal or traffic citation. If you fail to appear, a warrant may be issued for your arrest and your driver’s license may be suspended.

Will recent laws re: lesser sentences for certain drug offenders have any effect on my son’s probation?

Question Details:  My son has been charged with misdemeanor drug offenses in AL and GA. After paying half of the fines assessed, he went out of state and has remained there for over one month. Will he be arrested if found?

The recent law changes to mandatory sentencing for certain drug offenders will unlikely affect your son’s drug charge. Moreover, depending on the terms of your son’s probation, if found he will most likely be arrested for violating probation. General conditions of probation as ordered by Georgia courts typically provide that a probationer may not change his/her place of abode, move outside the jurisdiction of the Court or leave the State for any period of time without prior permission. If caught, your son may face increased penalties including prison time for violating his probation. This is why it is imperative that your son have legal representation.

Can I drop charges if I was a victim of battery? Is there anything at all I can do? I am a male?

The short answer to the question of whether a victim of battery can drop charges against the alleged perpetrator is no.

The legal process begins once the victim asserts a domestic violence charge. Often times the district attorney will not rely on recanted victim testimony once the charge has been brought. This is because domestic violence is a very serious offense and historically, victims have attempted to withdrawal charges out of fear of the abuser and doing so generally has had no effect on the fact that the abuse will most likely continue. Therefore, the state does not need the consent of the victim to continue to pursue a domestic violence charge. The law is indiscriminate in its reach and whether the victim is male or female has no bearing on his/her ability to stop a domestic violence case once it has begun. For more information on your options or possible outcomes, please do not hesitate to contact Simmons Law Practice.